Mayor de Blasio knows that our political system is rigged. Voter suppression tactics are robbing Americans of the constitutional right to vote, and billionaires are flooding the political process with money, drowning out the voices of ordinary Americans. Under his leadership, NYC is doing something about it.
- Passed voter initiative to strengthen NYC’s public financing of elections — lowering contribution limits and providing $8 in public matching funds for small donations, making NYC’s public financing system the strongest in the country.
- Became first City to initiate a government services voter registration program, offering New Yorkers the chance to register to vote when they interact with city agencies.
- Launched an ambitious voter registration program and appointed the first in the nation Chief Democracy Officer to coordinate city-led voter registration efforts.
- Provided language interpreters at City poll sites to make voting easier for people with limited English proficiency.
- Created a Citywide participatory budgeting program to give all New Yorkers a direct voice in selecting capital improvements in their neighborhood.
- Historic $40 million investment in a fair and accurate count for the 2020 census.